Mount Saint Mary's College
Home » Academics » Financial Aid » Types of Financing » Credential Program


Credential Program

If you’re considering pursuing your credential at Mount St. Mary’s College – or are already enrolled in the credential program – these are the types of financial support programs you can expect to apply for during your aid process.

Not every student qualifies for financial aid, or for specific programs; for more information, please do not hesitate to contact Student Financing at 310-954-4190. We are here to serve you.

Annual Costs

As you review your options for financial aid, it’s important to know how much attending Mount St. Mary’s College will be for you. Here is a quick matrix detailing tuition and fees:

As costs vary by credential program, we recommend you contact the Business Office at 310-954-4040 (Chalon) or
213-477-2540 (Doheny) for up-to-date tuition and fee information for your program. 


By definition, grants are considered “free” money and do not require repayment. Credential program students may apply for Cal Grants as part of their overall financial aid strategy. 

  • Cal Grants: If you’re enrolled as an undergraduate at Mount St. Mary’s College, you are eligible to apply for the Cal Grant A and B award programs. You can apply for up to four years, must maintain an eligible GPA, have demonstrable financial need, be enrolled in at least 6 units, and be a California resident. Click here for more info.

Student loans require repayment by either the student or his or her parents. Most repayment schedules begin after completion of studies; some begin immediately upon funding. There are three main types: Federal loans, Federal parent loans, and alternative loans.

  • Federal Direct Stafford Loans: These are the most common loan types for both undergraduate and graduate students. There are two types, both requiring repayment with interest: subsidized and unsubsidized.
    • Subsidized loans feature the Federal government paying the interest due while you are in college – you’ll repay the interest once you begin your payments.
      • Credential Only: $5500; 6 units minimum per semester
      • Dual Masters / Credential Program: $8500; 3 units minimum per semester
      • Eligibility: half-time enrollment, demonstrated financial need
      • Requirements: FAFSA, Master Promissory Note, Entrance and Exit Counseling
      • Interest: the current interest rate is X.X percent
      • Repayment: Principal balance is deferred until six months after graduation, withdrawal or dropping below half-time; the Federal government pays the interest on the loans while you are in school, and during grace and deferment periods
    • Unsubsidized loans require the borrower to pay the total sum as well as the interest that has been accrued, after they graduate. Payment of interest is not required as long as you are in school.
      • Credential Only: $7000; 6 units minimum per semester
      • Dual Masters / Credential Program: $12,000; 3 units minimum per semester
      • Eligibility: half-time enrollment, financial need not required
      • Requirements: FAFSA, Master Promissory Note, Entrance and Exit Counseling
      • Interest: the current interest rate is X.X percent
      • Repayment: You are responsible for all the interest on the loan, but you may defer interest payments while you are in school; if you do, accumulated interest will be added to the loan principal when repayment begins.
Alternative Loans

A better term for “alternative” loans is “private” loans – that is, regular loans. Like a loan you might request for a car or mortgage, these require a good credit score and history, satisfactory income-to-debt ratio, and in some cases may require a co-signer.

It’s important to note that if you secure an alternative loan, you must inform Student Financing so that it may be added to your overall financing profile.

  • Eligibility: Requires a credit-worthy applicant and/or co-signer. You’ll need a good credit history and satisfactory income-to-debt ratio
  • Application: Requires an Alternative Loan Application; please submit your application to Student Financing for processing
  • Interest: Most alternative loans feature a variable interest rate, determined by the borrower’s credit history.
  • Fees: Most alternative loans include fees added to the total amount owed.
  • Repayment: It begins six months after graduation, withdrawal, or dropping below half-time enrollment.

It’s important to note that alternative loans vary widely, and you should compare them to see what works best for you and your financial situation.

Loan Entrance and Exit Counseling

Part of the loan experience is being counseled up front prior to borrowing, and at the completion of your studies, so that you are aware of your impending financial obligations.

Loan entrance counseling is required of first-time Mount borrowers, particularly for Federal Direct Stafford or PLUS loans. Click here to complete your loan entrance counseling

Loan exit counseling is also required of Mount student borrowers upon leaving the Mount; it is also required by Federal law. You will be required to accept legal and financial responsibilities owing from the loan obligations. Click here to complete your loan exit counseling

Outside Scholarships

Many students apply for and receive what are known as “outside” scholarships – awards and grants from organizations not affiliated with Mount St. Mary’s College. To learn more about the types of organizations granting such scholarships, click here.

It’s important that any outside scholarship award you receive be processed through Student Financing. This way, we can help you offset loans or work-study requirements, as well as adjust any grant awards you may be receiving.

Assumption Program of Loans for Education (APLE)

If you don’t yet have your teaching credential, the Assumption Program of Loans for Education (APLE) may be right for you.

APLE provides support to assume loans accrued during undergraduate studies. In doing so, the idea is to incentivize outstanding students to become teachers and serve in critical teacher-shortage geographic areas or in schools meeting specific criteria.

To learn more, click here or call the California Student Aid Commission at 888-224-7268 extension 3.

Click here to download the APLE application
Click here to download APLE application instructions

 When complete, please deliver to Student Financing, 10 Chester Place, Los Angeles, CA 90007.