Mount Saint Mary's College
Home » Academics » Financial Aid » Types of Financing » Graduate Program


Graduate Program

If you’re considering a graduate degree at Mount St. Mary’s College, or are already enrolled in graduate studies, these are the types of financial support programs you can expect to apply for during your aid process.

Not every student qualifies for financial aid, or for specific programs; for more information, please do not hesitate to contact Student Financing at 310-954-4190. We are here to serve you.

Annual Costs

As you review your options for financial aid, it’s important to know how much attending Mount St. Mary’s College will be for you. Here is a quick matrix detailing tuition and fees:

Graduate Students (2014-2015)

Per Unit $813
College Service Fee $128
Masters Degree Programs (2014-2015)
Graduate Extension $39/unit
Graduate Religious Studies - Certificate $425/unit
Masters Degree Program $813/unit
Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) $800/unit
MBA Total Tuition and International Study Travel and College Fees* $37,016

*Additional 9 units of MBA Foundations Courses at Master's Per Unit rates are required for those who did not complete equivalent foundational Business Administration courses at the undergraduate level; consult the MBA Program Director for details.

**If a student leaves or is dismissed from the MBA program, there will be a full refund of the portion of the student’s payments allocated to field study, less any amount already paid to a third party provider to cover trip costs.


Student loans require repayment by either the student or his or her parents. Most repayment schedules begin after completion of studies; some begin immediately upon funding. There are three main types: Federal loans, Federal parent loans, and alternative loans.

  • Federal Direct Stafford Loans: These are the most common loan types for both undergraduate and graduate students. 
    • Unsubsidized loans require the borrower to pay the total sum as well as the interest that has been accrued, after completion of studies. Payment of interest is not required as long as you are in school.
      • Graduate Program: $20,500 per year
      • Eligibility: half-time enrollment, financial need not required
      • Requirements: FAFSA, Master Promissory Note, Entrance and Exit Counseling
      • Interest: the current interest rate is X.X percent
      • Repayment: You are responsible for all the interest on the loan, but you may defer interest payments while you are in school; if you do, accumulated interest will be added to the loan principal when repayment begins.
      • Direct Loan (Graduate) Fixed Interest Rate Loan Fees
        Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan 5.4% 1.051%
Alternative Loans

A better term for “alternative” loans is “private” loans – that is, regular loans. Like a loan you might request for a car or mortgage, these require a good credit score and history, satisfactory income-to-debt ratio, and in some cases may require a co-signer.

It’s important to note that if you secure an alternative loan, you must inform Student Financing so that it may be added to your overall financing profile.

  • Eligibility: Requires a credit-worthy applicant and/or co-signer. You’ll need a good credit history and satisfactory income-to-debt ratio
  • Application: Requires an Alternative Loan Application; please submit your application to Student Financing for processing
  • Interest: Most alternative loans feature a variable interest rate, determined by the borrower’s credit history.
  • Fees: Most alternative loans include fees added to the total amount owed.
  • Repayment: It begins six months after graduation, withdrawal, or dropping below half-time enrollment.

It’s important to note that alternative loans vary widely, and you should compare them to see what works best for you and your financial situation.

Loan Entrance and Exit Counseling

Part of the loan experience is being counseled up front prior to borrowing, and at the completion of your studies, so that you are aware of your impending financial obligations.

Loan entrance counseling is required of first-time Mount borrowers, particularly for Federal Direct Stafford or PLUS loans. Click here to complete your loan entrance counseling

Loan exit counseling is also required of Mount student borrowers upon leaving the Mount; it is also required by Federal law. You will be required to accept legal and financial responsibilities owing from the loan obligations. Click here to complete your loan exit counseling

Outside Scholarships

Many students apply for and receive what are known as “outside” scholarships – awards and grants from organizations not affiliated with Mount St. Mary’s College. To learn more about the types of organizations granting such scholarships, click here.

It’s important that any outside scholarship award you receive be processed through Student Financing. This way, we can help you offset loans or work-study requirements, as well as adjust any grant awards you may be receiving.