CHE 107 Biochemistry
The study of the molecular components of cells with emphasis on physical and chemical properties and biological functions. An introduction to enzyme kinetics, bioenergetics and the central pathways of carbohydrate metabolism.
The quizzes at the left show how QL is used in CHE 107
CHE 107L Biochemistry Lab
Techniques in the isolation and characterization of biomolecules with an emphasis on proteins. Introduction to enzyme kinetics
The experiments listed below (links at the left) are examples of of QL is infused into CHE 107L
- Experiment #1: Data Analysis with Excel
- Experiment #2: Weak Acids and Properties of Proteins
- Experiment #?: UV-Visible Absorption Spectroscopy
- Experiment #7: Enzyme Kinetics: Hydrolysis of p-Nitrophenylphosphate Catalyzed by Acid Phosphatase
- Experiment #8: Fluorescent Intercalators
CHE 110A Physical Chemistry: Thermodynamics
Laws of thermodynamics, chemical equilibria, and cell emf.
At the left is an exam that illustrates the type of quantitative calculations done in physical chemistry
CHE 110B Physical Chemistry: Dynamics
Kinetic theory, transport processes, chemical kinetics, and quantum mechanics. Use of the computer for analysis of problems in the preceding areas.
At the left is an exam that illustrates the type of calculations (including derivatives) that are used in physical chemistry.