Mount St. Mary's College - Graduate Programs
Mount Saint Mary's College
Home » Graduate Programs » International Students

Information for International Students

As an international student, you will find that understanding the American regulations on international student admission is of utmost importance to your success in enrolling in a graduate program. The information below describes the specific procedures that you must follow if you apply to and are admitted to Mount St. Mary's College – Graduate Division. Please allow extra time due to the additional requirements and I-20/Visa processing.

All application documents should be mailed to:

Mount St. Mary’s College
Office of Graduate Admission
10 Chester Place
Los Angeles, CA 90007


Although there is no difference between international applicant and domestic admissions deadlines, international applicants are encouraged to submit their application and materials at least 4 months prior to the term they would like to begin. Additionally, the Graduate Admissions office encourages you to apply as early as possible.

Obtaining an international transcript evaluation can take several weeks to several months. Many evaluation agencies offer expedited services for a nominal fee. We recommend that you expedite your transcript evaluation so that ample time is available for I-20 and visa processing, if you are admitted to the program. 


You must have one hard copy of an official detailed international transcript evaluation sent directly from an MSMC approved credential evaluation service agency to the Office of Graduate Admission. Evaluation of your transcripts must include a breakdown of classes and is necessary to ensure that an equivalent of a US baccalaureate degree has been obtained. Click here for a list of approved agencies.

You will also have an official transcript (hard copy) in the native language, if applicable, of all your undergraduate and graduate work, sent directly from each college or university attended to the Office of Graduate Admission.

IELTS or TOEFL Examination

Graduates of foreign universities at which English is not the primary language must submit results of the IELTS test with required minimum band score of 6.5 OR submit results of the TOEFL test with required minimum score of 79 for the internet-based test, 213 for the computer-based test, or 550 for the paper-based test. The institution code for the TOEFL exam for Mount St. Mary's College is 4520.

Official scores should be submitted directly to Mount St. Mary’s College Office of Graduate Admission from the testing agency.

Proof of Financial Support

The International Student Data (ISD) form and bank statement are due with all other application materials. Please download and complete the International Student Data (ISD) form and submit it to the Office of Graduate Admissions.

US government regulations require that international students show evidence of guaranteed funds to support their tuition and living expenses while studying in the US. These funds may be provided by a person other than the student and this may be indicated on the International Student Data (ISD) form. Official documentation of the funds, usually in the form of a bank statement, is also required. US government regulations prohibit students with F-1 student visas from employment off campus.  Please click here for a list of acceptable funds.

Upon receipt of the International Student Data (ISD) form and all other application materials (such as official and evaluated transcripts, official TOEFL scores, etc.), your file will be forwarded to the graduate program for review.

Obtaining a Visa

Students who are accepted will be mailed the I-20 form; you will take the form, passport, and proof of your ability to support your college education (bank statements, letters of credit, scholarship letter, etc.) to the nearest US consulate. An official at the consulate will stamp an F-1 visa inside your passport. Together with your I-20 form, this visa will enable you to enter the United States and to be a student at the institution named on the I-20. Should you change your mind and decide to study at another institution, you may jeopardize your student status and may not be allowed to remain in the country. Consult with the nearest US consulate or embassy if you have any questions about the visa application process.


On-campus housing is not available for graduate students (except for Doctor of Physical Therapy students). For information about off-campus housing opportunities, please contact Maria Lyons, Director of Commuter Services and and Community Liaison, at (213) 477-2670 or

Do You Have Questions?

If you have further questions about the graduate admission application process, please contact the Office of Graduate Admission at (213) 477-2800 or