- Completion of a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- A cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for undergraduate work. (For grade point average lower than 3.0, academic petition to the Graduate Dean for special consideration is required.)
- Complete Online Application and $50 fee
You will have the option of indicating interest in either screenwriting, playwriting, fiction, literary nonfiction, or poetry .
- Application Essay / Personal Statement - please write a 2-page, double-spaced essay
- Include your purpose in pursuing an M.F.A, a description of the creative writing courses you have taken, and your future career goals.
- Writing Sample: submit your best work in one of the areas listed below. Only electronic submissions will be accepted (no hard paper copies). Email your writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org
- For screenwriting or playwriting: please submit two acts of a screenplay, teleplay, or play: 35-60 pages.
- For poetry: please submit ten to twelve poems.
- For fiction: please submit two or three short stories, or a portion of a novel. Fiction writing samples should be double-spaced; 30 to 50 pages.
- For literary nonfiction: please submit two or three short pieces, or a chapter of a memoir or book. Literary non-fiction writing samples should be double-spaced; 30 to 50 pages.
- Submission in more than one genre is possible. If applying in more than one genre, please send manuscripts in each. Please include a coversheet for each program. Critical writings are not acceptable as the basis for admissions decisions.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Letters should be written by instructors or colleagues best able to assess your potential for graduate study. One letter must come from an individual able to judge your creative writing ability.
- One copy of an official transcript must be mailed directly to the Mount St. Mary's College Graduate Admissions Office from ALL Colleges/Universities attended
- Entrance interview with the program director
For further assistance, please contact Graduate Admissions via email at email@example.com or by phone at (213) 477-2800.