The following criteria pertain to admission into the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Program:
1. Applicants have an earned baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution, e.g. Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Non-BSN degree holders are required to complete a transition course (NUR 243) during their first term of graduate studies. Effective Fall 2013, applicants are required to have a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree. Applicants for the post-MSN Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist track have received a Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in nursing or related to nursing as outlined by the Board of Registered Nursing for Clinical Nurse Specialist certification.
2. Applications are accepted for the fall, spring, or summer terms.
3. A valid and clear, current Registered Nurse license issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing to practice in the state of California.
4. Applicants for the Leadership/Administration track have completed a minimum of one (1) year full-time continuous employment as a licensed Registered Nurse within the last five (5) years.
5. Applicants for the Educator track must be able to meet minimum qualifications to be approved as a Clinical Teaching Assistant per California Board of Registered Nursing regulations, Title 16 CCR Section1425(e): A clinical teaching assistant shall have at least one (1) year continuous, full-time or its equivalent experience in the designated nursing area within the previous five (5) years as a registered nurse providing direct patient care.
6. Applicants for the Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist and post-MSN Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist tracks have completed a minimum of one year full-time continuous clinical experience in a setting caring for adults as a licensed Registered Nurse within the last three years.
7. The Admissions Committee of the MSN program will review and determine if the applicant’s clinical employment meets the admission requirement.
8. Have earned a grade point average of 3.0 in the last 60 semester units or the last 90 quarter units of course work.
9. Have completed a course in statistics or research as a prerequisite to NUR 290 (not applicable to post-MSN Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist track.)
10. Complete the Graduate Student application and statement of interest.
11. Submit two letters of recommendation.
12. Verify health clearances.
13. Have current CPR certification - American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider.
14. Provide proof of malpractice insurance.
Applicants who meet eligibility requirements are:
1. Required to complete an on-site writing sample (not applicable to post-MSN Adult-Gerontology CNS applicants).
2. Scheduled to meet with the MSN Program Representative for an academic planning session.
Students accepted into the MSN Program:
1. Must take all required nursing courses at MSMC.
2. Are allowed to defer their admission for up to one year. For e.g., if a student is accepted in the fall, she/he may defer admission until the following fall. If accepted students do not enter within one year, they must reapply to the program.