Location: Doheny Camput (Downtown LA)
Provide comprehensive academic advising for prospective, new, and current students. Assist the students in establishing realistic and attainable goals regarding course and major selection. Contribute to department-wide development of resources to assist advisors in delivering quality advising services and designed to meet the advising needs of the students. Address student concerns to ensure the overall success of the educational experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Advice assigned students and drop-ins on academic requirements, policies, and classes specific to their
2. Maintain confidential student files and records, documenting all pertinent academic information within
the college, upholding FERPA regulations.
3. Assist with student worker training and supervision.
4. Respond to student concerns/problems, and referring students to appropriate resources, including
5. Maintain data and workflow in ImageNow, the document imaging system, using various screens.
6. Maintain data in Datatel/Colleague, the student database system, using various screens.
7. Serve as resource for exploratory/undecided students.
8. Maintain the Academic Advisement webpages with current information on programming, academic
policies, and services available to students.
9. Coordinate and proctor placement testing sessions during the academic year.
10. Process forms as needed including Transfer of Credit Clearance form.
11. Assist with summer advising activities and placement testing, including proctoring of exams, confirming
locations, and advising students from several disciplines.
Qualifications and Requirements:
Understanding of academic policies and degree requirements in higher education. Understanding of the developmental advising process. Knowledge of the California Community College system. Strong working knowledge of computers and word-processing, spreadsheets, database and/or other software applications. Working knowledge of Colleague/Datatel system.
Effectively organize, prioritize and handle multiple tasks to meet established deadlines. Exercise sound judgment and decision making. Very analytical, detail-oriented and accurate. Understanding of, and sensitivity to, the needs of a small, private and diverse college environment. Ability to build rapport and work well with diverse populations. Customer service orientation. Present information accurately and clearly to a diverse population. Oral/written communication, interpersonal and presentation skills. Computer and data entry skills.
Bachelor’s degree required.
Minimum 2 years’ experience in an academic setting, preferably in academic advisement. Experience with articulation agreements desired.
Work Location: Doheny Campus
Start Date: Immediately
Applications Deadline: Open until filled
Contact Information: Email cover letter, salary history and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mount St. Mary's College is an equal opportunity employer. The College is thoroughly committed both to providing equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees, and to providing a work environment that is free from harassment, discrimination and retaliation.
Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States. The College will not assist applicants with any visa matter. A background check will be required.