Location: Split between Doheny Campus (Downtown L.A.) and Chalon Campus (West Los Angeles)
Oversee the College’s Accounts Payable (A/P) and Payroll departments, and ensure that employee and vendor disbursements are accurate and in accordance with MSMC policies as well as government regulations. Assist the Assistant Vice President – Financial Services (AVP-FS) and Controller with various Accounting related duties, as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Accounting – Accounts Payable (40%):
Accounting – Payroll Department (40%):
1. Manages one full-time Payroll Associate, one full-time Payroll Coordinator and one part-time student
2. Ensures that the payroll department accurately processes timecards, contracts and personnel status forms to
pay faculty, administrators, staff and students.
3. Evaluates and analyzes existing payroll policies and procedures, and implements changes and/or quality
control measures leading to best-practice operations.
4. Ensures that employee and employer contributions to the College’s retirement plan are accurate and
remitted in a timely manner.
5. Represents the department by sitting on various committees and attending meetings throughout the campus
6. Works closely with and fosters a positive and productive working relationship with the College’s Human
Resources Department and office of the Provost.
7. Coordinates, develops and implements training for staff, and evaluate their performance.
General Accounting (20%):
1. Assist the AVP-FS and Controller with special projects and assignments, including the preparation of
2. Assists Controller during the annual audit.
3. Assist with the preparation and review of GL Account Reconciliations.
4. Represents the department by sitting on various committees and attending meetings throughout the campus
Qualifications and Requirements:
Solid working knowledge of basic mathematics and algebraic functions. Familiarity with basic accounting principles. Good working knowledge of computers as well as spreadsheet, database and word-processing
software applications. Knowledge of ADP software preferred. Basic supervisory skills.
Ability to calculate and process information quickly and accurately. Effectively organize, prioritize and handle multiple tasks to meet established deadlines. Analytical, detail-oriented and accurate. Work well independently and as part of a team. Ability to work in close proximity, and with frequent interaction, with supervisor. Strong customer service orientation. Ability to operate various office equipment, such as: copiers, scanners, faxes, and calculators.
Candidates for this position should have at least five years of experience managing accounting employees, and should hold a degree in Accounting or related area. Experience supervising payroll functions is highly preferred.
Work Location: Split between Doheny Campus (Downtown L.A.) and
Chalon Campus (West Los Angeles).
Start Date: Immediately
Applications Deadline: Open until filled
Contact Information: Email cover letter, salary history and resume to: Controller@msmc.la.edu
Mount St. Mary's College is an equal opportunity employer. The College is thoroughly committed both to providing equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees, and to providing a work environment that is free from harassment, discrimination and retaliation.
Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States. The College will not assist applicants with any visa matter. A background check will be required.