The Clothesline Project
The Clothesline Project, started in Cape Cod, MA in 1990, addresses the issue of violence against women. It is a vehicle for women affected by violence to express their emotions by decorating a t-shirt. They then hang the shirt on a clothesline to be viewed by others as a testimony to the problem of violence against women.
Follow The Clothesline Project on Facebook!
Purpose of MSMC Clothesline
- The MSMC Clothesline Project is designed to provide empowerment, support, education and a healing tool for survivors of violence.
- The project is comprised of five components: the t-shirt display, educational materials, donations, the t-shirt making tent, and performances that address choices to inform others.
- The display is a visual representation of letting survivors “speak the truth” about their assault and shows how many people are affected.
- The shirt-making tent allows survivors to express how their experience has affected them and to affirm their own strength.
- The educational materials provide important information to increase awareness of topics, such as domestic violence, sexual assault, rape, childhood abuse/incest, etc.
- The Clothesline Project Feb. 22-24-In addition to T-SHIRT MAKING come visit the INFORMATION TABLE, buy some COOKIES (Chalon-2 for $1 to benefit shelter), and VIEW THE DISPLAY
- Mon./Wed. 10 a.m. - 3 p.m., Tues. 10 a.m.- 2 p.m. in the Circle (Chalon)
- 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. in Ahmanson Commons Driveway (Doheny)
- Clothing Donations Feb. 8-23-Clothing Drive: Collecting women's and children's clothing for the House of Ruth Shelter for battered women. See donation boxes in Chalon res halls and campus offices.
- Feb. 16 from 11 a.m. - 2 p.m., Circle: Cookie Decorating to benefit the House of Ruth Shelter for women (Chalon)
- Feb. 21 at 7 p.m. -Mass at Chalon includes Blessing of the shirts
- Feb 22-Campus Ministry - 2 p.m. Tee-shirt cookies Building 7 (Doheny)
- Feb. 23 at 1-2 p.m. -Mount Monologues-readings, poetry and singing to celebrate women's strength to overcome, Chalon Circle
- Take Back the Night Tuesday Feb 23 at 5:30 Doheny – Mercy Chapel
- Regular shuttles at 4 and 4:30 from Chalon will arrive before 5:30
- Wednesday Feb 24-Doheny Mass 4:40 with emphasis on the clothesline