Helpful Tips for Off-Campus Living
Renting your own apartment requires planning ahead! Here are some helpful hints on making your renting experience as easy as possible.
Finding Your New Home
- Ask when the property will become available.
- Ask if parking will be available. If yes, ask what kind.
- Ask what utilities, if any, will be included in the rent.
- Inquire about the condition of the apartment.
- Ask what the monthly rent will be, and if a security deposit will be required.
- Inquire about any special conditions or provisions that may be included in the lease.
- Click HERE for a map surrounding Mount St. Mary's College area.
Signing a Lease
- Make sure you understand all aspects of your lease. It is a legal and binding contract.
- Your landlord should not request that you pay the entire sum of your rent up front, or that it be paid in two large payments.
- Make sure the apartment is equipped with smoke alarms, fire alarms, and sprinklers.
Choosing a Roommate
- If you decide to share your residence, choose your roommate/s wisely.
- Decide in advance how much each person will pay.
- Discuss habits, lifestyles, and expectations— be honest about what you can and cannot live with.
- Make arrangements of what will happen if one party decides to move out before the end of the lease.
Rental adds often us abbreviations to describe the property. Use this table to find out what these abbreviations mean.
||Washer & dryer|
||Water, electric, gas, cable, phone|
||Or best offer|
Off Campus Living Safety Tips
- Keep all doors and windows locked.
- Keep the porch light on during the evening.
- Get to know your neighbors.
- Call the police if you see a stranger is in your neighborhood.
- Use the door peephole before opening the door.
- When in doubt about any suspicious person or activity in your neighborhood or apartment, call the Police.
Helpful Phone Numbers
Department of Water and Power
Comcast (cable, internet)
Adelphia (cable internet)
Direct TV (cable, internet)
LA Bureau of Sanitation
LA City Services
3-1-1 (call to be connected to any of LA’s city services)