FEDERAL DIRECT LOAN ELECTRONIC PROCESSING INSTRUCTIONS
In order to be eligible for Federal Direct Loans, students must:
· File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) www.fafsa.ed.gov
· Be enrolled at least half time (6 credits per semester) for Undergraduate Students and (3 credits per semester) for Graduate Students
· Be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen
· Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress as established by the College
· No default status on a student loan or owed repayment on any grant funds
· Complete Loan Entrance Counseling
· Submit all verification documents required by the Office of Student Financing
1. Go to www.studentloans.gov
2. Click on “Sign In” (You will need your FAFSA PIN)
3. You must now complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN). On the left-hand column, under the “Master Promissory Note” heading, click on “Complete MPN.”
4. You are now on the “Master Promissory Note (MPN)” page. Click on “Subsidized/Unsubsidized.”
5. You are now on the “(STEP 1) – Personal Information” page. Enter your personal information in all required fields (indicated by an asterisk). Enter optional information if it is available. At the bottom of the page you will be asked to select “School State” and “School Name” again. Click on “Continue.”
6. You are now on the “(STEP 2) – Personal References” page. Enter the information for your two references in all required fields (indicated by an asterisk). NOTE: your references must have different addresses and telephone numbers from each other and they must have addresses within the U.S. Enter optional information if it is available. Click on “Continue.”
7. You are now on the “(STEP 3) – Terms and Conditions” page. You must review section C, D, E and G. Please read this information carefully and completely. Once you have done so and agree to the terms, select the box next to “I have reviewed the information about me on the Master Promissory Note and acknowledge that it is true and correct. I have read, understand, and agree to the Borrower Request, Certifications, Authorizations and Understandings, the Promise to Pay, the MPN Terms and Conditions, and the Borrower's Rights and Responsibilities Statement.” Click on “Continue.”
8. You are now on the “(STEP 4) – Review and Sign” page. Review all the information. If the information is incorrect, click on “Edit” for the desired section. Once all information is correct, sign your MPN by entering your name in the appropriate fields. Click on “Sign.” Once your signature has been authenticated, you may view your MPN before submitting. When you are ready to submit your MPN, click on “Continue.”
9. You have now submitted your MPN for the Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan. You may view/download the PDF version of your completed MPN to retain a copy for your financial aid records. You may log out.
If you provided an email address during the application process, a confirmation email will be sent to you. Please retain it for your records. The MPN enables students to borrow Direct Loan funds for up to ten years without completing additional promissory notes. However, you must apply for financial aid each year.
If you would like to print a copy of these instructions, please click here.