Mount St. Mary’s College has a culture of assessment. This means
- Community members share a common commitment to improving student learning and a common language to guide this work.
- Students know at the outset what their expected learning outcomes are for the course, the major or program.
- Faculty and staff continually assess the nature and extent of student learning.
- Lessons about student learning inform curricular, pedagogical, and administrative decisions.
- The goal of assessment efforts at MSMC is to improve teaching and learning.
- The overall results of student performance will be available to students, faculty, staff and other interested parties on College webpage.
The Political Science major is designed to both expose students to the relevant debates in the discipline, and to promote student engagement in the political world, at the domestic and international levels. The mission of Mount St. Marys College is to create a learning environment with an emphasis on building leadership skills, with the hope that graduates will use these skills to better the world around them. With this mission in mind, MSMC Political Science majors are engaged in various activities- beyond the classroom, including Mock Trial and department trips overseas (South Africa/Namibia 2008, El Salvador Presidential Election Observing 09). As a MSMC Political Science major you will be able to evaluate political arguments and ideologies, and use these skills to become an active global citizen.
Demonstrate ability to-verbally- evaluate political arguments
- Structure and evaluate normative political arguments
- Apply the major methodological tools in political science to effectively describe, explain and predict political phenomena
- Apply active and engaged citizenship.
- Demonstrate understanding of the values and factual assumptions that underlie one's own political ideology.