Mount St. Mary's College, Weekend College
Mount Saint Mary's College
Home » Weekend College » Financial Aid for Weekend College

Financial Aid for Weekend College

Piggy BankMount St. Mary's College offers all the usual forms of financial assistance common to accredited institutions of higher learning.   Applicants who are interested in financial aid should contact the Office of Student Financing at (310) 954-4190 as early as possible, preferably ten weeks prior to their projected starting date at the Weekend College, both because the process is a lengthy one and because advance planning is essential.

You should keep in mind that you can only receive financial aid for the semesters that you attend school.  You also must reapply for financial aid each year. (A financial aid year in the Weekend College begins with the summer semester in May, runs through the fall semester, and ends at the end of the spring semester of the following calendar year.)

FAFSA: By filling out a single financial aid form--The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA--you will be notified of all the sources of aid for which you are eligible. Contact the Office of Student Financing at (310) 954-4190 to have this form sent to you, along with a brief brochure describing the entire financial aid process.  Complete a FAFSA online

Loans: Nearly half of the students in Weekend College receive some form of financial aid, most commonly loans.

Either the Subsidized or Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan is available to any undergraduate Weekend College student who has not previously defaulted on a student loan.

Depending on an undergraduate student's classification as a freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior, you may be eligible to borrow up to $10,500 a year in student loans.

These loans are of various kinds, but they typically involve lower interest rates than non-educational loans, and frequently either the principle or the principle and interest do not have to be paid back until you are out of school.

Scholarships and Grants: Less commonly available are scholarships and grants.  The Federal Pell Grant and the Cal Grant are based largely on a student's need, and most adult students in the Weekend College, since they work full time, are not considered by the government to have extreme financial need.  Certain forms of the Cal Grant, however, are based on a student's grade-point average, and so some of these are awarded to Weekend College Students. In order to seek a Cal Grant you must file a GPA verification form and you must apply during a two-month window between January 1 and March 1 for each upcoming academic year